Our network

Man helps to save dolphin trapped in crab cage

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) -- A dolphin was on the verge of drowning in Biscayne Bay, but thanks to a man who saw he was in distress, he was saved, and it was all caught on camera!

The man was riding a personal watercraft when he noticed the mammal. Nick Tuduri said he "noticed the dolphin struggling to swim," so he had to help.

Go-pro video that can be watched above captured the pull-and-tug between Tuduri and the dolphin as he tried to free it from a metal crab cage. Tuduri said that after the rescue, a pod of seven dolphins swam alongside his jetski.

According to him, he thinks it was their way of saying thank you... Read More

Local charity helps moms and babies in need of diapers

HENDERSON, Nev. (KLAS) -- Baby's Bounty, a local charity helping moms and babies in need, is making life for new parents a little bit easier. Earlier today, the nonprofit handed out free diapers and wipes during their weekly "diaper bank" event in Henderson.

Kelly Maxwell, executive director of Baby's Bounty, says they launched this program in May as a result of the pandemic. Since then, they've seen an increase in the number of clients they serve.

"We do hear from our clients that they often have to make that terrible decision between buying food or buying diapers," Maxwell shared. "It's a heartbreaking decision for any parent. We would like to be part of that solution for our community members, and hopefully just provide that one service that allows their life to be just a little bit easier when it is tough for a lot of us." ... Read More

Leaders begin to determine whether recent mitigation efforts have helped stem COVID-19 spread

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) -- As COVID-19 continues to surge in our state, leaders are starting to look at whether recent mitigation efforts have had an impact on the spread of the virus.

It's been just over three weeks since Gov. Steve Sisolak announced "Stay at Home 2.0". The two-week initiative was put in place to try to bring down the surging virus numbers.

On a Wednesday call with Nevada Health Response, the team addressed the drop in COVID cases from this time last week and whether or not that's a result of recent mitigation efforts.

Caleb Cage, Nevada's COVID-19 response director, says it's important to look at these numbers in terms of trends over time.

"There's always a two- to three-week lag from when the case is identified and when we start reporting them," he noted. "There's also a two- to three-week lag for when we start to see mitigation measures, or when we could start to see mitigation measures take hold." ... Read More

Unemployment benefit extensions increase; UI claimant says she's waited weeks for extension

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) -- As time goes on, more people on unemployment are exhausting benefits and trying to file for extensions. The state unemployment department is reporting an increase in extended claims.

Both the regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) portals have different extension processes.

8 News Now spoke to a woman who filed for an extension a while ago, but has been left waiting.

"Those benefits ended Aug. 30," said Bonita Ware-Flowers.

Flowers says she filed an extension on her unemployment benefits in August.

"Right now, I am in a pending resolution status for extended benefits," Flowers shared.

The mother of three says she feels stuck and doesn't know where to turn.

"I did not receive any letters, nothing stating, you know. I have received nothing," Flowers said. ... Read More

I-Team: Tony Hsieh had no will before death, documents say

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) -- Former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh left no will before he died from injuries he sustained in a fire, court documents filed Wednesday said.

Hsieh, who lived in Las Vegas, died in New London, Connecticut, on Friday, Nov. 27, after being rescued from the fire on Nov. 18. He was 46.

According to documents filed Wednesday, his family is asking a judge to name Hsieh's father and brother as special administrators of his estate.

"The co-applicants are unaware of the existence of a fully executed estate plan and have a good faith belief that the decedent died intestate," court records indicate. The family writes they need access to Hsieh's financial and social media accounts, as well as the ability to speak with his lawyers, according to the documents.

In addition to Hsieh's brother and father, Hsieh's mother and a second adult brother are listed as next of kin... Read More

Dec. 2 marks 5th anniversary of the San Bernardino terrorist attack

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) -- Five years ago today, a married couple by the names of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik rocked the community of San Bernardino, Calif. Authorities say Farook and Malik were responsible for a mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

Farook worked there as a public health department employee. They killed 14 people and injured 22 more. For about three years, it was considered the worst mass shooting in the U.S.

Three pipe bombs Farook had left at the building ahead of the shootings failed to detonate. The pair were killed in a shootout with police four hours later.

The FBI later determined that they were 'homegrown violent extremists' who had become radicalized online.

On Wednesday, families of those killed were able to look at the memorial plans for their loved ones.

The memorial will be called the 'Curtain of Courage' and was designed by landscape architect-artist Walter Hood... Read More

DISH continues its long-term practice of putting subscribers in the middle, rather than reaching agreements at fair market rates

IRVING, TX  (Dec. 2, 2020) – Today at 7:00 p.m. ET, DISH Network removed from its system the network and local community programming provided by 164 local television stations owned by Nexstar Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Nexstar Media Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXST) (“Nexstar”). DISH is refusing to reach a new distribution agreement allowing the satellite television behemoth the right to continue airing Nexstar’s highly-rated programming.  DISH also removed Nexstar’s cable network, WGN America, from its system, denying subscribers access to the U.S.’s only live prime-time national newscast, NewsNation. As a result, millions of Americans across the country have lost local news, traffic, weather, sports, and entertainment programming as well as critical, up-to-date news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic... Read More